The Rest of 2015, Part 2

I've taken a little more time in prepping my year-end wrap-up this year, mostly because I was making sure I had seen everything I wanted to in theaters before publishing. Like last year, I've written mini-reviews on all the films that I either saw too far into their theatrical run to do a full review on or after their home video release. Without further ado, I present to you Part 2 of the Rest of 2015...

San Andreas - Watch it, but only if it's free. 

I got more out of San Andreas than expected. Yes, it was a little silly at times, very CGI driven, and a pretty pointless movie. But that's the point: it's a "turn your brain off" film, and a pretty well-made one at that. Dwayne Johnson shows off his action star chops well, while Paul Giamatti does pretty decently too as a seismologist. The massive destruction we see is also well done with some unexpected restraint. No, San Andreas isn't great, but it's not bad for killing time. Grade: 45



Ex Machina - Buy it. 

I'm just going to cut to the chase: Ex Machina is one of the best films of the year. The way it's filmed, acted, and written is nothing short of spectacular. Oscar Isaac and Domhnall Gleeson are perfectly cast in their two roles, and Alicia Vikander does incredibly well too. I really don't know what else to say here. Ex Machina says so much about artificial intelligence and its dangers while also being one of the most thrilling and still intimate science fiction films I've ever seen. Grade: 96



Inside Out - Buy it. 

Inside Out is not quite the timeless classic that I feel Up, The Incredibles, the Toy Story films, and Wall-E are, but it does show us that the cross-generational Pixar we know and love is back. The voice casting is superb, and the animation is golden as always, but its premise sets it apart. I can't think of a film that has examined the human mind in such a unique yet strangely accurate way. I'm not sure how much of it will be grasped by kids, but the more seasoned viewers will have a blast.  Grade: 93

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Needtobreathe - H A R D L O V E (2016)

Unfriended: Dark Web (2018)

The Search for the Holy Grail of Music Streaming, Part 2: Google Play Music