College Life, Week 2

Well, one more week has passed on the Olivet campus here in Bourbonnais, Illinois, and I have a few more observations about college life. This week, I'm going to give some tips about staying in touch with home while also being heavily involved in campus life:

  1. Whatever you do, stay in touch with your family. No, you don't have to call them everyday, even if they'd like you to. However, even if you only call once a week, they'll appreciate it a ton. Besides, it can be nice to see how things are going at home. Make sure you set aside time to call home, and respond to any texts you get. Don't shun your family. And especially...
  2. Don't let the first thing that tells them how you're doing be your blog. Oops. Didn't do a great job here. Sorry Mom. 
  3. Keep in touch with at least a few good friends from high school. I haven't done a great job of this yet, mostly because there's an asterisk to this one: don't get stuck with doing so. If you spend all your time talking to friends from high school, you won't make as good of friends at college. If they live in the room next to you, that's a different story; but don't spend all your time calling home. Trust me when I say that they'll understand. 
  4. Learn to say no to some things you really want to do. This one is especially hard for me, and I'm learning my lesson now. I decided to get involved with a theater production on campus. I don't regret doing that; however, I do regret saying that I would be as involved in it as I am now. It's sucking most of my nights away, as I've had to say no to other things that I really wanted to do. As a result, I'm taking the rest of the year off of theater: not because I don't love it, because I do, but because I want to do other music things (read: worship music) even more. 
  5. Pour yourself into whatever you do get involved in. Yes, I know I just said to say no to some things; but when you say yes, pour yourself into it. Even if you only have a small role in a campus organization, do whatever you can to be as amazing as you can be in your role. This will leave a more lasting impression than you biting off more than you can chew and doing it just adequately. Do what you have time for, but devote yourself during that time. 
That's it for this week. Be sure to stay tuned for more observations about campus life next Saturday, as well as a couple new album reviews during the next week. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Needtobreathe - H A R D L O V E (2016)

Unfriended: Dark Web (2018)

The Search for the Holy Grail of Music Streaming, Part 2: Google Play Music