College Life, Week 6

I know I’ve missed the past few weeks of College Life, but I’m pretty sure the reason will come out in the words that follow. I’m changing the style to more of a recap of the week instead of a list of tips, as I feel that stories are a better way to do things.

This week was Broadway Revue. For those of you who don’t know, it is a show put on by the theater club, Green Room, here at Olivet. We did several numbers from a variety of shows, including “No One Is Alone” from Into the Woods, “In My Life” from Les Miserables, “Sunrise, Sunset” from Fiddler on the Roof, and “Pandemonium” from The 21st Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. This was a blast to put on for our audience, and we all had a great time rehearsing the show for this past week.

That being said, as you probably could have guessed, it sucked out a lot of my time. Every week before we got into the auditorium, I spent six hours a week in rehearsals. During tech week, it was that much a night. Yeah, it was a lot of time. I had to give up a lot of things that I wanted to do during this week, including quite a few blog posts, a lot of binge watching, and hanging out with my friends.

This leads into my main point for the week: priorities are key. Placing your priorities in college on socializing and having fun is not necessarily a bad thing, but you need to realize when you need to buckle down on your schoolwork. There were several nights recently that I’ve stayed up until 2:30 AM (which for me is too late) just doing homework that I couldn’t do because of rehearsals. Those nights were not fun, especially when I had to wake up before 7:00 for a philosophy class.
You see, college isn’t about making friends by hanging out in the girls’ dorms. It’s not (just) about the academics, either. College is about making friends in doing activities you want to do. I have met and befriended a lot of people through Broadway Revue that I probably would have never met otherwise. Find an area of interest for yourself, pour yourself into it, and make friends through it. Trust me when I say that if you make friends in clubs, you’ll have a connection and a common interest that will enhance and strengthen your bond. Plus, you’ll have people to look forward to when you participate in those activities. Also, they can help you hone your interests and develop you as a person.

See you next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Needtobreathe - H A R D L O V E (2016)

Unfriended: Dark Web (2018)

The Search for the Holy Grail of Music Streaming, Part 2: Google Play Music