Get Out (2017)

I loved literally everything about Get Out. There hasn’t been a horror film that reminds me of the more classic form of the genre in the past few years that has been as inventive and impactful as this one. I love being scared in the way this film scared me with its brilliant pacing and tension.

Nearly all of this is due to Jordan Peele’s writing and direction. This guy amazed me in how he was able to move into a completely opposite genre from his prior comedy work and make his first movie and not miss a single beat. There is so much tension and eeriness surrounding the first and second acts that play beautifully into the third act that I swear Hitchcock or Kubrick must have been responsible. Peele has a way of using somewhat unconventional shots in cool ways – in particular when Chris (the film’s protagonist) arrives at his girlfriend Rose’s house, using a wide shot the whole time instead of cutting close to see Chris meet her parents for the very first time. Because it doesn’t show their reaction, it sets a bit of an unsettling tone for the rest of the film. Peele does a great job with ensuring that his timing on his scares is right too – a piece of evidence that comedy can translate into horror to some degree.

All of this would be enough to make Get Out a good horror film, but what takes the movie to another level is Peele’s screenplay and its subtext. It deals with racial issues as one might expect for a horror film starring a black man, but that is where my expectations were stopped dead in their tracks. The racist villains of the film are not white supremacists but middle- to upper-class liberals – people that, according to the film, would have voted for Obama a third time if they could, donate to the ACLU, and shop at Trader Joe’s. These are not on the surface bad people, but in Get Out there is a scene at a party where Chris is meeting all of Rose’s family friends where it makes the viewer feel like Chris does – awkward, pandered to, and uncomfortable. They are so incredibly ignorant of what they are doing, and they’re doing it completely unintentionally; but that does not lessen the blow of what this mindset leads them to do in the film’s conclusion.

The secret to making this film work is its characters and the performances behind them. Daniel Kaluuya’s Chris excels in every scene he was in, but the best moments come in the aforementioned party scene. I felt his discomfort; I felt his anxiety; I felt every pandering remark that was made in his direction hit me like a knife. It’s a more terrifying experience than most of the rest of the film, and his performance makes the film’s points about racism hit that much harder. All of Rose’s family – played by Allison Williams, Bradley Whitford, and Catherine Keener – are not just caricatures of the stereotypes they fit but have some real depth. The standout, though, is Chris’s friend Rod, a TSA officer played by Lil Rel Howard. He is this film’s primary source of comic relief, but instead of becoming grating he ends up being one of the most enjoyable parts of the film. It doesn’t feel like Rod is ever being forced as a character to be funny; instead, he seems like he would act this way in the situation in which he is put, and that is why his comedy works so, so well.

Get Out transcends its genre. It does this not just in its old-school style but in its shaming of unintentional pandering to those of another race, and for that reason it both thrilled and provoked thought in me. It made me confront my belief that I am not a racist person in any way and forced me to see another perspective so that I might change the way I act. There hasn’t been a film that has done this to me in such a poignant way before, and I hope that this film will have the same staying effect on you. I know that it will be entertaining, but if you investigate beyond its surface it can be so much more than just a horror flick.

My recommendation: Definitely, definitely, definitely see it.

My grade: 97/100

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Needtobreathe - H A R D L O V E (2016)

Unfriended: Dark Web (2018)

The Search for the Holy Grail of Music Streaming, Part 2: Google Play Music